Something Great

Arsene Wenger cobbled together starting lineups with spit and duct tape and Denilson and somehow the team dragged its ass over the finish line in third or fourth.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

And That Mercedes Wagon, With The Kit, That's Kitted Out

Diego Forlan has it on dubs
In a press release, Atletico Madrid revealed security concerns with Diego Forlan's new warm-up before games. Doug plans to warm up wearing shoes made of gold and juggling a ball also made entirely of gold. "It might take some time to get used to, but with the full kit I couldn't pass it up," Diego smiled, revealing his mouth full of gold.

Order is restored

All is right in the world. That was the response Jim gave when he found out that Forlan had earned the Balon de Oro as the World Cup's best player. At the half-time of the Germany Uruguay game we discussed the possible candidates. The shortened version was that as it stands, Forlan deserved it but certainly wouldn't win it. The short list for Fifa included names like Messi, and Iniesta. Two great players who had done nothing compared to Villa, Muller and Forlan.

Then the second half began. And Diego did this. The debate was over. Or at least that's what I screamed to whoever would listen. In the back of my mind, I still had a terrible feeling. But Fifa got it right and maybe, just maybe, it was as obvious a decision as I thought. It may not be a perfect ending, but everything was right.

I had my doubts about Forlan, I can't deny it. When Uruguay struggled during qualifying - oh I haven't forgotten - I blamed Diego. It wasn't exactly misplaced either. All those well weighted passes in the World Cup were turnovers against Bolivia. All those majestic, artistic strikes in the World Cup that embarrassed goal-keepers, sailed high and wide against Chile. Ironically, Atletico's deep run in the Europa Cup helped Diego. This flew in the face of all the English talking heads who blamed long domestic campaigns for the failures of English "stars".

Oh see what had happened was


As it turns out, Diego Forlan had 3 goals in his last 5 club games, two of which were in the Europa 'ship. Wayne Rooney had zero goals in his last 5 games. Notoriously a slow starter, Diego peaked at the perfect time. Simply notorious, Wayne did not. But this is neither here nor there. Irregardless of their respective vintages, Diego Forlan, a Man-Utd burn-out is now also one of the best players in World Cup history.I realized something the day after Luis Suarez received an honorary degree in Physics from South Korea University. The anxiety, the suffering, the complaining, that was all an extension of not my greatest fears - missing the World Cup - but rather my biggest regrets - the lack of memories. 2002 left me with nothing. 2006 even worse. I was at the height of my soccer obsession with no lasting images of Uruguayan soccer.

Ha. How things change huh. From Diego's bomb on South Africa all the way to Diego's mind-altering volley on Germany - with a whole lot of Luis Suarez in between - 2010 was full of memories. And that is what is most important.

2014 can't come soon enough.

No comments: