Something Great

Arsene Wenger cobbled together starting lineups with spit and duct tape and Denilson and somehow the team dragged its ass over the finish line in third or fourth.

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Horrible

Generally, I think Juan and I do a pretty good job of not being too biased when it comes to posting about different clubs. It's true that we have a vested interest in a select few, but we have respect for a lot of different teams and players, and I think we try to analyze things objectively.

As a biased Arsenal supporter, I just have to weigh in and say that today's game was the worst I've ever seen. No other match in recent years, whether it was losing the Champions League to Barca or the League Cup to Chelsea has left me so feeling so down. Though Arsenal will remain at least three points ahead, this was an important game to win, and losing at the last second in such awful fashion will really leave some emotional scars on the team while emboldening United and Chelsea.

It wasn't the result that really hurt, though. Far from it. It was the horrendous injury to Eduardo that may have prematurely ended a talented young man's career. I hope to God that isn't the case, but based on what I saw during the match and in pictures that have been circulating since, Taylor's tackle has to be looked upon as one of the worst the game has even seen. The look on the other players' faces said it all, and I think Cesc's agonized expression is now burned into my mind.

I'm not going to break down how Arsenal managed to blow chances and squander victory because it's fairly self-explanatory and there are others who will certainly be examining the result closely. I'm also not going to spend any more time whining about how other teams often resort to kicking Arsenal around the park in an attempt to slow them down and hamper their passing, making an incident like this, while horrible, feel somewhat inevitable. I'll just hope and pray that Eduardo recovers and that we'll be able to see more of this someday.

2 comments:

Ben said...

As I mentioned to Juan, Eduardo's injury was very similar to what happened to Jason Kendall. I imagine 9-12 months of recovery, plus another 6-12 months of rehabilitation. Then, of course, the question remains, how will this change how he plays.

I agree, it's horrible to see something like that happen, and for players to see it. That definetly will scar them.

JuanFucile said...

scratch that, actual good news, unlike my above piece, is that his leg broke instead of his ankle exploding like i thought

next year during crunch time he should be seeing a few minutes here and there