Something Great

Arsene Wenger cobbled together starting lineups with spit and duct tape and Denilson and somehow the team dragged its ass over the finish line in third or fourth.

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Our Founding Father

With the end of the Champions League and the Euro's in full swing, it's easy to get caught up in the wash. Make no mistake about it though, this blog is discretely about one man, and one man only. Carlos Bueno and his flowing hair, if you haven't been following, have been on an absolute tear in La Primera Division de Uruguay.

Penarol - the first soccer team I learned about when I was a kid - recently won the Clausura and in 14 starts, Carl Awesome has scored 13 goals. The Penarol jersey was also the first jersey I ever put on. I don't know why I still remember this, but I wore my carboneros jersey to school in third grade, called a substitute teacher fat (or something about how her shirt made her look fat) and she responded furiously by calling me a bumble-bee in front of the whole class. I distinctly remember laughing as I told her it was a Penarol jersey. Then I popped it in her face and told her to be cool. Alright that last part didn't happen, but the rest of the story is true.

Anyway, if you've never seen him score then you might not fully understand who this man really is. His happiness makes Trezeguet appear somber and the faces he makes would shame Cristiano Ronaldo. If there was ever a time to click on the links we here at TLOCA provide for you, this is the one. If you were stranded on a desert island and could only watch one soccer celebration, this is the one.

Watch the first three minutes with a straight face, I dare you.

His antics are so belligerent, so unsporting, yet so beautiful and pure that you can't look away. He begs for your forgiveness and in the end, his catharsis can only make you smile.

The Legend

2 comments:

Jim said...

Long live the legend. I forgive you Carlos, for we can only be ourselves.

Ben said...

I love how he celebrated for like 15 minutes on his own, before the game resumed.

He clearly is Carl Awesome.